Position: Service Desk Engineer Level 1
Department: Service Desk
Reports to: Service Desk Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Service Desk Engineer Level 1 position is responsible for providing first level support to clients over the phone or through remote sessions. Responsibilities include initial assessment, triage, documentation, and resolution of basic incidents and requests. Issues outside of the scope of responsibility will be escalated to Level 2 engineers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- 80% utilization of billable time providing remote support for client users / 90%
- Answer incoming support calls
- Address and resolve basic incidents and requests including but not limited to:
- User and password administration
- Basic printing/scanning issues
- MS Office assistance
- Log on, remote access, and share drive issues
- Browser issues
- Session resets
- General desktop settings
- Create and assign trouble tickets based on scope and available resources
- Escalate issues beyond the scope of their ability, outside their area of responsibility, or that require more than 15 minutes to resolve to the appropriate resources
- Sys-Prep of new PCs
- Basic virus scanning
- Other duties as assigned / 10%
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Minimum of a AS or BS in a related discipline or a suitable combination of education and relevant experience; Certifications preferred but not required;
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within information technology support in a Windows environment, including but not limited to:
- Basic knowledge of Windows Server Technology
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft OS and Office products;
- Basic knowledge of TCP/IP, network routing, firewall functions (NAT), including basic understanding of common protocols such as HTTP(S), RDP, DNS, SMTP, etc.
- Understanding of concepts such as Active Directory, Virtualization, VOIP, DNS, DHCP, etc
- Intermediate understanding of computer hardware and troubleshooting
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Willingness to strive to consistently improve, both personally and as a team, to achieve extraordinary results in customer service and technical skills.
- Ability to prioritize workflow and organize diverse material and ability to handle multiple, competing and changing priorities; ability to perform effectively without supervision and within established time limits and ongoing deadlines;
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally, and provide exceptional service, both internally and externally at all times.
All employees are expected to exhibit exemplary customer service skills, both with external customers, vendors, visitors, co-workers, and management staff. Their written and verbal communication skills should be concise and effective, they should aspire to excellence in both work and customer service, they should show courtesy to all they encounter while representing the Company. They are also expected to maintain an air of professionalism in their interpersonal relationships and personal grooming, exercise confidentiality concerning the affairs of the business, exhibit a willingness to learn, willingness to problem solve and willingness to step in to help others, and openly and actively participates in the direction of our Company.
Umbrella MS views each of these traits as performance indicators, and employee appraisals reflect each of these attributes as an element of performance upon which employees are rated.
While performing the duties of this position the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and listen. The employee is regularly required to use hands and arms to finger, handle, feel and reach. The employee is required to stand, walk, and drive or ride in a motor vehicle. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Must have the ability to travel, sometimes with short notice and be able to provide after-hours support and weekend implementation as needed.